Join Our Illinois Family Law Team
As the leading law firm in the country focusing on family law, Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP is continuously searching for the most talented family lawyers, legal assistants and support staff Chicago has to offer. We are first and foremost a service organization, and by attracting and retaining the highest quality personnel, we ensure delivery of the most effective and efficient services to our clients. If you embrace our core values of hard work and continuous dedication to improvement and enjoy collaborating with the best and brightest talent, you would be a great candidate to join the Chicago family law attorneys at Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP. In all three of our offices, we foster an environment that demands the highest level of integrity while maintaining a culture of diversity, collegiality, respect and professional growth.
We invite you to explore our website to learn more about our Firm.
Apply for Employment Consideration
Position Title: Controller
Position Reports To: Executive Director
Basic Function: Controller oversees the accounting, financial, and conflicts related functions of the Firm. This position requires a hands-on effort as well as provides leadership and direction.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary supervision of all accounting and conflicts personnel.
- Completes monthly financial ProLaw reporting.
- Prepares monthly financial package along with drafting management discussion and analysis.
- Completes quarterly review of WIP and AR with Executive Director including preparation of reports, making inquiries with Equity Partners and addressing issues as directed.
- Completes monthly preparation/review of payments to contractors.
- Performs ad-hoc financial reporting as requested by Firm committees and Equity Partners.
- Assists in monitoring Firm contracts, especially those related to Contractors and insurance payments.
- Oversees and performs annual calendar and fiscal closing processes.
- Oversees and prepares annual budget including reports and communications to Executive Director.
- Manages banking relationship for Firm including annual renewals of loans, compliance with covenants, and reporting to banks.
- Monitors firm cash levels on a daily basis and prepares weekly cash report.
- Stays current on 401(k)/Profit Sharing rules to ensure Firm maintains administrative compliance.
- Prepares 401-k and Loan Spreadsheets for ABA.
- Prepares flex spending spreadsheets.
- Maintains the files for self-directed profit sharing accounts and data for preparation of 5500's.
- Prepares Quarterly Tax worksheets for each Equity Partner.
- Prepares Federal 1065 Worksheet and K-1 spreadsheets for outside Accountants.
- Reviews and files Federal 1065 Tax Return.
- Along with the Director of Human Resources, reviews and processes payroll on semi-monthly basis and as needed for special payrolls.
- Oversees Conflicts and New Client Intake Process.
- Performs accounting, 401-k and profit sharing orientation for new personnel.
- Confers with Executive Director and Human Resources Director on personnel compensation changes.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation.
- Reviews banking information for accuracy.
- Reviews Accounts Payables for proper approvals and signatures.
- Prepares survey information for various compensation surveys. ALA, Survey of Law Firm Economics, Citibank Flash Survey etc.
- General Ledger oversight, including balance sheet and income statement review and analysis, account reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Management Skills and Abilities
- Acute financial acumen and integrity required.
- Superior problem solving, logical reasoning and analytical skills.
- Proven managerial and leadership skills.
- Professional, service-oriented attitude.
- Strong understanding of information technology systems and interfaces with financial and accounting systems.
- Strong initiative, can-do attitude and work ethic.
- Proven communication skills both in writing and speaking with all levels of personnel in an organization.
Education and/or Experience
- Accounting or other related financial or business Bachelor's degree required. CPA or requisite professional experience required. MBA a plus.
- 7-9 years of previous experience in accounting and financial areas in the legal or professional services industry required or requisite comparable professional experience.
- Minimum 7-9 years of experience managing a comparable size Accounting operation in a professional services environment (legal industry experience is ideal).
- Experience with ProLaw or other legal accounting software strongly preferred.
- Proficient-to-advanced skill in Excel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Word. Familiarity with other Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Experience with ADP Payroll system or an equivalent payroll system.
Comments: Position requires a proactive, detail oriented person with organizational and strong administrative skills. The person should posses the ability to take initiative and interact with all levels of management and staff with tact and diplomacy. Position requires a demonstration of effective oral and written communication skills, self-motivation and the ability to work independently. The ability to perceive and analyze problems, develop alternative and make or recommend sound decisions are essential.
Please send resumes to Human Relations Director Kimberly Nega at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above descriptions are not intended to be an "all-inclusive list" of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
- - -
Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP is an equal opportunity employer and equally considers all candidates for employment, regardless of race, color, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, childbirth, veteran status, ancestry, age, disability ("protected characteristics") or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.